Collection Vessels for Extraction
Closed or Open Loop Extractor System Tanks
What is Solvent Extraction?
Solvent extraction is the process of diffusing a solvent into oil-bearing cells resulting in a mixed solution of oil and solvent. It is one of the most popular methods of separating oils and fats from oil-bearing materials as opposed to other mechanical processes (such as expellers, hydraulic press, etc...) primarily due to the high percentage of oil recovered which can range upwards of 99%+ as opposed to the 85%+ of other methods. The common solvents of choice range from butane, hexane, and pentane among a handful of others, each of which is favored because of several factors: commercial economics, a low boiling point, and in the case of consumption grade product, a non-toxic impact. Distillation of the resulting oil mixture allows recovery of the alkane hydrocarbons (your "hex/but/propane") to be reused at minimal costs.
The extraction/collection tank collects the extracted oil and solvent at the end of the process. The larger the vessel the more trim (raw plant matter) can processed simultaneously. It is not uncommon for a large collection vessel to be the repository of multiple material columns, provided it has enough volume to hold a sufficient solvent quantity initially. Once in the collection vessel, the solvent is warmed until it reverts to a gaseous form which can then be removed with a recovery pump such as the Haskel brand we carry. The extracted oil ("drop off") can then be poured into an external container for further vacuum purge if necessary.
Bowl Reducer Bases vs Collection Plates
Depending on your setup, your collection vessel bottom can either use a bowl reducer (often with an attached valve) or a collection plate. Both are available in jacketed or non-jacketed versions. The bowl reducer has an advantage by needing only a valve opened to drain out the extract oil. The heavier collection plate overcomes that drawback by being a secondary vessel if further processing is required, for example, if further solvent recovery is needed.
More Options...If you are unable to find what you need from our most popular choices below, we do carry an extensive line of Sanitary Clamps, Tri Clamp Spools to meet your needs.
- These product(s) are intended only for use in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances, and Glacier Tanksā€™ specifications. Depending on the type of oil you are extracting, these product(s) may not be legal to operate in some areas.
- Glacier Tanks strongly discourages any unlawful use of these product(s) and is not responsible for any damage or injury caused by their misuse or unlawful use.
- These product(s) are designed and intended for operation in well-ventilated outdoor areas.
- Any person or entity that uses these product(s) or information provided by Glacier Tanks does so subject to Glacier Tanksā€™ Terms and Conditions, and accepts all liability concerning the use of the product(s) or information listed above.
- DANGER! Never extract with butane or propane indoors. Doing so may cause serious injury or death.
Glacier Tanks will accept returns of website standard stocking items, but only if:
- The item is new, unused, and in resalable condition;
- You notify Glacier Tanks and request a return authorization within 30 days of your receipt of the item;
- You return the item to Glacier Tanks, postage/shipping prepaid within 5 days of Glacier Tanks' return authorization (RMA);
Once your items have been received by Glacier Tanks and verified to be unused, we will refund your purchase price, less shipping costs. Returns will incur a 15% restocking fee. Return shipping costs are your responsibility and shall not be paid by Glacier Tanks.
The following items are non-returnable:
- Special or Discounted items - labeled by button color:
- Special Order
- Drop Ship
- Custom order
- All Gaskets & Seals
Please be sure you understand and agree to any drawings supplied to you prior to purchase of custom or special order items. Payment of deposits for custom or special order items indicates your approval and acceptance of such custom or special order items.